Friday, February 26, 2010

All right - enough snow already!

For crying out loud, enough snow already. Yes, I know it is still February, but my brain and joints are screaming April. When I had the house in Norfolk, Virginia it snowed about 4 inches one day. The place closed up tighter than a drum. When my ex-husband (on is motorcycle) and I got to the Naval Station there was a sign on the gate that said they were closed and to call in to your command. I being raised in upstate NY, and he in New Hampshire, both were somewhat puzzled by the whole thing. All we could do was turn around and go home and call in. What was scary was all the other people on the road. A military town has people from all over the world. A considerate number of these people have never seen snow let alone driven in it. The roads are not snow friendly down south. They can't use tar like we do up here. The temperatures that are normal for that area would peel up tar based roads on tires 10 months out of the year. Their roads (or at least they used to be) made of concrete, crushed glass and sand, hence the gold, glittering appearance. And as for snow removal equipment...what snow removal equipment? I suspect after watching the news since I left there about 20 years ago they have invested in some because it seems like they are getting more and more every year.

I have to admit I am the biggest coward when it comes to driving in snow. When I was 19 I had a go-a-round with a tractor-trailer on interstate 81 in PA driving back to Philadelphia one night after a winter weekend up here. I lost. Since that wild ride and a clip off the 9 lives totum pole I have come to look at very oncoming vehicle in winter weather as a potential weapon. They no doubt think of me as the same when they pass by me and realize my eyes are bugging out of my head and the death grip I have on the steering wheel has just about bent it.

I got a call from the VA today. They are concerned about my triglycerides and cholesterol. A little background is needed here. Last spring I found myself on Coumadin (a chip number 3 on the 9 lives totum pole, leaving me with 6 lives left now). When you take this medication you need to eliminate, or be very careful about the foods that contain Vitamin K. Foods that contain Vitamin K are the ones that are good for you (greens, veggies, fruits). This change in diet left me with a new diet of basically fats and sugars. So today they call and tell me my cholesterol and triglycerides are too high and I need to adjust my diet. And to this I ask: to what? You now have eliminated all 4 food groups. Thank god Chesapeake energy pulled their application to dump the waste water in that well just up the road, at least I will be allowed water, and can still drink it from my tap.

Hang in there - we are all in this together-
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment