Friday, April 9, 2010

Another Day, Another Dollar, Maybe

I gotta say I am really tired of beating my brains against the wall trying to pay bills. I work a 40 hour week, but by the time I get the check and the state and federal governments take their cut off the top there is not enough left to be bothered with. I do not have a pool, a fancy deck, a grill, or even a fancy home. All of 980 square feet is plenty. I do subscribe to satellite TV, electric service and propane for heat. I have a land line to support my computer Internet, but leave long distance to cell phone use. I do have a washer and dryer, but I also live in the country where the closest laundromat is over 10 miles away (and so is everything else for that matter). I use the dryer only occasionally and mostly hang my laundry to dry in a line outside (upside - cheap dryer bill, downside - bee stings in the rear of jeans if you do not turn them inside out and shake). Since my daughter moved out I find I eat a lot more sandwiches and easy foods, not necessarily a balanced diet. I have turned the heat down to 60 degrees so I now wear my outdoor insulated work clothes to function inside the house. I function in the dark for the most part to avoid turning on lights. At night if I have to see I use a battery operated light that you buy to attach to a wall as a portable light. It uses 3 AAA batteries and lasts longer than a flashlight. I just do not know how to spread my $8.25 a hour wage any thinner. I do have animals, I end up with them because other people bring them because they can't afford to keep them. I guess I am done with accepting them. I can't afford the expense of going non profit, and I am beginning to feel like I am being taken advantage of.

I have read some books on frugal living, and I leave those reads in laughter because living frugally is a step up from where I am at. I do like the job I currently have, I just wish I could earn a living wage at it. Even waitress gets tips to add to his/her minimum wage. They do offer a "bonus" at Christmas time...last year it covered my electric bill for the month.

I am grateful as I said to be employed, as so many are not, I am also grateful that my home is paid for other than the 2 yearly rent payments I have to make in order to keep it - school taxes and property taxes. I am grateful for my improving health, and the improving health of my family members who have been faced with extreme challenges as of late. I am also grateful for the possessions I do have, no matter how outdated and worn out they are, my vehicles for example. My car runs great with the engine light on all the time, and my 4-wheel drive does not run worth a damn but works good to use as the tractor I do not have to move stuff around the property. I am grateful that I can breath today even though I am having a lot of trouble taking a deep breath, and at times feel like I am drowning because I just can't get air in (my Nurse practitioner ignores my complaints of this problem, so I guess it must be all in my head). And finally I am grateful I woke up today because I sometimes feel that breathing is just to much work and one of these nights I will actually fall into a deep sleep and forget to force my chest to expand.

Some days keeping up with staying behind is just to much for my depleting energy level....So as it goes....
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment