Saturday, April 24, 2010

Everything Is Growing Like A Weed And I Need to Get The Spring Cleaning Done

The home I currently live in I rented for many years before returning to it. It has been about 4 years since my return. My first year I had my gallbladder out, and last year I had the pulmonary embolism so I really have only had two healthy years since returning home. I am finally making some head way on cleaning up the dump this place has turned into. NY State says you have to keep your renters stuff for a year even after they stiff you on the rent and move out in the middle of the night. One set of renters left me 52 garbage bags worth of garbage (the 55 gallon bags I might add) and stole the TV I let them borrow. Others have left furniture, toys, clothes, tools, you name it, and it has been left behind. Most all of it junk, because it is broken, dirty, torn or misused in some way.

To this end I have been dividing stuff up into piles. One pile is going to the junk yard. Prices are up on metal recyclables and I could use an extra couple hundred dollars. Trips to the junk yard are a profitable venture if in need of some quick cash. Another pile is going to be relocated to the front yard for sale. Another pile is going to be donated to people I know who could use it, and the last pile is the “I am not real sure what to do with it” pile. My garbage pickup guy is not going to be impressed with me when they come to empty the dumpster because it is not all fitting in the dumpster.

Now, about the green growth. This is a rural area I live in and all this stuff is sitting in the field behind the barn. I had counted on the cool spring weather to give me a good month of gathering all the junk and going through it all before the field grasses started to grow and hiding everything in the field. So far this concept is not working for me. All this warm weather with rain every few days has set the field grasses in over drive, and the snakes are already out. I know this will not go over well with some folks who are snake lovers, but I am not one of them. If you have ever seen a snakes den full of eggs then you know nobody will miss the 6 that met with the end of my shovel. And honestly it is not the 6 I killed that bother me it is the 90 or so still out there. I have plenty of cats to keep my rodent population under control I do not need the assistance of this predator. Actually that is probably why I really do not see the number of snakes my neighbors do. I assume it is because the food supply is not as good over here as it is next door.

In the process of gathering everything from recliners to broken glass windows up there I lost my little Black & Decker cordless screw driver. I have walked that area twice today. The thing is bright orange for crying out loud. The grass has swallowed it up and unless I run the lawnmower over that part of the field I suspect I will not find it until I hit it and it breaks the blade on the mower.

I think I have done all the gathering of junk in my back field I will be able to do this year. We are expecting 3 days of rain and by the time the sun comes back out I will need the bush hog to mow up there, and until I get all the glass and garbage out of there mowing is totally out of the question. We will see how tough my little Black & Decker cordless screw driver is, maybe next year.

And as it goes…..
Deb
http://wormlady.dealsmall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment